Monday, January 29, 2007

Wonderments

  • That God created us with eyes. Bats don’t use their eyes to see and they get around just fine! Technically speaking, God didn’t have to create us with eyes but yet we have them. It is amazing that God cared enough about our relationships with one another and God’s creation that we were given eyes. I think I take them for granted. And I'm slightly fearful to look into them.


  • Humor. Why do we find things funny? Why do we laugh? Why is it so healthy to laugh? This puzzles me and yet I shall continue to laugh until I can laugh no more or all the funny people and things in life die off. Even then I shall continue to laugh at myself… so I guess I’ll laugh forever! (Surely God must have laughter in heaven.)

  • Four Mysteries from Proverbs 30:18-19 (New Living Translation)
    “18There are three things amaze me, no, four things I don’t understand: 19how an eagle glides through the sky, how a snake slithers on a rock, how a ship navigates the ocean, how a man loves a woman.”

  • Stocks, bonds, and Roth IRAs. Thank goodness Josh set up my Roth but it’ll be years from now before the S&K 500 and I ever form a lasting friendship.

  • Beauty. It amazes me that certain things can appeal so perfectly to our senses. In that same line, that certain things can repel me so.

  • Imagination. One of the things (along with beauty) for which I needed no instruction.

  • Friendship. How is that people who have had the most polar upbringings may form a lasting friendship and that some friendships may find themselves bound by kindred spirits. Along with that, emotional bonds. I’m frequently amazed that two people may form an emotional bond and after their relationship has ended that bond will continue until it is healed.

  • Babies. Anything baby. Why is it that any living baby, be it human or animal, or even ideas, seems so wonderful and cuddly and delightful while still very young? Animals certainly cannot find any attraction in their young, I mean, look at the mates they pick! (I know, I know, it’s all about survival, but still!) There is no purpose for their young to be so darling! In that same strain, how is it that human babies can be such terrors! A little infant can reduce a grown man to tears and fear in less than 2 seconds. Why are they so precious?!

  • My car engine. Just today it started making a new terrific noise. I think though that it’s a ploy to harass me and be a daily reminder that although I can pretend to know what I’m talking about, I’ll never understand what the manifold gasket does. And yes, I've been shown a million times and just recently a good friend of mine sat me down and we watched movies and diagrams about it and he gets it but I haven't the slightest idea anymore.

  • Geniuses. The French guy who first made movies and Ford (or whoever developed the first steam vehicle) render me speechless and forever in awe. How do they do that? And how in the world do people write symphonies? How?! I tried to "channel" some Mozart while in Salzburg and I just could not conjure up anything! Not even a short little ditty.

  • The fact that I was ashamed to wear make-up. I strongly desire to walk around au naturel but good gracious! just let me step foot in the cosmetics aisle and I'm a sucker for a new mascara or blush or lip gloss! I'm reading a book called Travelling Mercies and in it the author describes using cosmetics as (and a I grievously paraphrase) "to enhance the beauty that is there, not cover it up." I felt as though a great burden has dropped off my shoulders because I was literally ashamed to be cosmetically inclined! Thank you so much Travelling Mercies authoress!

I'll be adding to this list often so do check back if you so desire.

P.S The snow has been falling off and on over the weekend and my little cheery lamplight and tree-friends are just absolutely delighted. They told me so. They also encouraged me to gaze out on the swirling snow in the lamplight and to take notice of the saplings' and pine tree's new attire..... as often as I so desired. I think they are all quite dashing and resplendent and shall take them up on their offer.

3 comments:

James Straight said...

There is laughter in heaven:

"He who sits in the heavens laughs..." Psalm 2:4

I don't think I would have ever remembered that verse if it weren't in a Rich Mullins song. :-)

James

SarahW said...

Thanks James!

Bundle of Paradoxes said...

Thanks Sarah. That's good, good stuff. Heartfelt, light-hearted, and sincere without making me feel like I've stumbled upon a cheesey women's devotional or something.

You've found the perfect balance. I don't know how you do it, but keep doing it.