Thursday, March 29, 2007

Radio and TV Correspondents' Association Dinner

Every year there's a lively ol' dinner hosted in D.C. by the Radio and Television Correspondents' Association. Hence "Radio and TV Correspondents' Association Dinner." This year proved to be as interesting as last year's (the first one I've ever watched) and I get a big kick out of the President poking fun at his past year and himself. What I particularly like about this is that President Bush is just so darling when he is self-deprecating and moderately humorous. He knows he's not a stand-up comedian and he knows he's not slap-the-knee hilarious, he just tries. Were Mr. President and I to ever hold a conversation between ourselves, I have no doubt that while I would respect and honor him as my President, there would definitely be an atmosphere of ease and good humour. This is someone who I would want in the family at get-togethers, putting everyone at ease, mingling with all, and yet one knows they could sit down and have a good solid conversation with him.
While many mock his presidency and take up arms against his policies, I would like to point out one thing: if I feel I can trust this man in my family, you'd better believe I can trust him with domestic and international matters. This isn't to say that if you can trust Uncle Steve over there on the couch watching wrestling with a beer in his hand, then he's qualified to be on the forefront of domestic and international policy. As a President, he is someone I would be eager to claim as a relative. Uncle Steve as a relative is not someone I would be eager to claim as President.

Thus I am very delighted to post highlights of the RT Correspondents' Dinner.



Of course, one cannot pass up the Deputy Chief of Staff in his musical debut.

No comments: