Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Man in Black

So I've been reading this biography (ahem, the authorized biography) of John R. Cash. As I first heard of him, way back in the day, he was known to me as Johnny Cash, Gospel singer and relatively boring person. I know, I know, I know, Johnny Cash boring? As I knew him, he hung out with Billy Graham and sang the old hymns and uninteresting gospels. Without watching Walk The Line, I would never have taken an interest in this man and his wife. Well friends, I shall commence eating crow because this man is probably the furthest thing from uninteresting.

So far this is what I've gathered: He became a Christian at 12, was traumatized by his brother's tragic death, entered the Air Force, married Vivian because (and I think so) he loved her, started his music career (and drug/alcohol abuse), had an affair with June, divorced Vivian, cleaned up his act, rededicated his life, and married June.

Did you know that after his marriage to June and rededication to living a Christ-like life he spiraled back into drug abuse? This is a man who was baptized three times, including one time in the Jordan River, made a movie about Christ, wrote a book about Paul, attended church regularly, had a hit TV show that emphasized a life with Christ, and was revered by many influential Christians (i.e. Billy Graham and his wife) and leading politicians. This man had a plantation in Jamaica, the house of his dreams outside Nashville, and another house somewhere else that he liked as well (yes, stellar description of the latter, huh?!). He had that long sought-after son, a wife he loved/adored, and a career of which he could be proud. Yet even with all that he hit the drugs again! After knowing that it once nearly killed his career, let alone him, he couldn't say no. Once again though, the people around him pull together and with them and the recollection of what happened those many year ago, he made it out of that deadly mire. That's as far as I am now in the book, but I know there's a happy ending and I know his relationship with the Lord deepens even further.

Doesn't that say something about what the Lord desires in his followers? Think about it, Abraham, David, and Paul (they're the only ones that come to mind at the moment). They were not lukewarm! They were men who screwed up, and recovered, and screwed up, and recovered. They didn't just sit around and twiddle their thumbs, saying "well, if I do nothing then I won't risk doing the wrong thing and getting in trouble, so I'll just sit here and make no trouble." Hmm... interesting, because when you read Revelation 3:15-16, the Lord doesn't say he only wants those who are piously following him. "15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

Neither hot nor cold. Far too many times I believe I am lukewarm, never willing to risk; I'm the worker who buried his master's money in the ground. Always afraid I'm going to step on someone's toes, always afraid I'm going to hurt someone, always afraid I'm going to do whatever it is I set out to do wrong. You would think that after all the teachings, all the books, all the experiences I've been through already I wouldn't worry about failing. When it comes to a crunch time, when in the midst of a situation that calls for my decision, I never hesitate though. Under pressure, I will make a decision that I consider wise. It's the lull before that causes me to question everything and frown any action on my part. Being lukewarm is discouraging! You stand there in that tepid area, thinking "ooo, but what if I get too cold... what if I get too hot?" Oh I hate that I let the "What if(s)?" influence my life! Stupid hesitant bane of my life! (right now, bane of my life is the hit phrase).

I wonder what Johnny would have done.

No comments: